Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I'm still thinking about our last meeting...especially the group session led by Brad and Barb. I greatly appreciate that newer teachers said they valued the veterans' input, but I think we old teachers should have done the same in return. In large part, I joined this group to spend time with a variety of colleagues: newbies and veterans, teachers from other disciplines, geeks and the technically challenged, etc. Over the last few years in working with the mentor program, I've been humbled by all that new teachers have to offer Arapahoe. You're on the cutting edge of technology and teaching techniques, you're enthusiastic, and you're the future of our profession. So I'm hoping that we old teachers will return the favor of listening to our new teachers.

4 Comments:

At 8:17 PM , Blogger mferrill said...

You make an excellent point, Karen! The "new" teachers in the English Department are absolutely amazing, and as I listen to their excitement in planning a new lesson (usually working together on some clever constructivist idea), I remember the excitement of starting my teaching career and feeling I could change the world. Indeed, I have learned so much from them in just one year, and most of what they have shared with me is not about technology. Thank you for reminding me to thank them!

 
At 9:04 PM , Blogger T Sale said...

I agree, Karen. In fact, one reason I joined the group was to be in touch with what's new. I looked around one day and realized I was one of the old ones ((seasoned, is it?), and now that my kids don't ride to school with me and identify the new bands playing on the radio, I need someone else to clue me in to what's new and cool.

 
At 7:10 PM , Blogger Barbara S. said...

I like your thoughts, Terry. And Karen, what a great thought. I had not seen things from your perspective until I read your post. Cool!!!

 
At 8:07 AM , Blogger Roger Hess said...

Exactly! As a mentor, I sometimes feel that my mentee has much more to teach me than I can possibly teach him. But you old timers are still helpful too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home